Silicone carbide (SiC, SiSiC, SSiC) has an exceptional set of properties:
- high hardness (4th after diamond);
- high thermal conductivity;
- excellent corrosion resistance;
- low coefficient of thermal expansion;
- low density;
- semiconductor properties;
- stability in a wide range of temperatures;
- low friction coefficient.
All these combinations make material irreplaceable in the production of corrosion-resistant, wear-resistant and heat-resistant products for a variety of industries.
The main applications are:
- bearings for pumps and compressors;
- rings of mechanical seals;
- ceramic plungers;
- elements of valves and stop valves;
- lining for protection from wear and corrosion;
- sorting wheels of various grinding machinery;
- lining for cyclones and calciners for cement plants;
- crucibles, boats;
- furniture and lining of furnaces;
- substrates, plates;
- products for the metallurgical industry.
There are two main types of silicon carbide:
- reactively bonded silicon carbide (SCR-Si1, SCR-Si2)
There is free silicon in the composition of the material. This material is cheaper, but not recommended for alkali applications.
- sintered silicon carbide (SCR-S)
Pure silicon carbide. More expensive, but versatile. Recommended for all environments.
Basic properties of the material
|Propertioes||Brand of material|
|Isolated porosity, %||0||0||2|
|Hardness (at SiC), GPa||25-30||25-30||25-30|
|Flexural strength, MPa||320-350||270-300||380-410|
|Compressive strength, MPa||3300-3500||2800-3100||3000-3500|
|Thermal conductivity at 20-100°С, W/mK||110-120||100-130||100-110|
|Coefficient of linear thermal expansion at 20-1000°С, 10-6 К-1||3,4-4,9||3,5-5,0||3,0-4,6|
|Maximum operating temperature
A reducing or inert environment
Please feel free to contact our specialists on any related issue.